Thursday, April 29, 2010

To Carve Out a Self

I haven't blogged here in quite a while.  I was just thinking that I want to start blogging again and wondering what I want to call my blog.  Then, I thought, why not come back to my Deity Over Dignity blog. 

My therapist says that to write originally, rather than just copying other people's work, is to carve out a self.  It is very scarey work, I must admit. 

Responding to what I read is the easiest way to do this, it seems.  I have committed to start every day for the next month with the first chapter of Luke and the beginning of John.  So, some of this is copying, but then I'll include what I think about the text. 

Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us,

I like Luke's word, "compile".  It sounds like just piling one thing on top of another, until the stories at the bottom start to turn into rock.  Luke sounds thankful that he was gifted by God with the time to go around and about listening to these stories and taking them down.  Somebody needed to and Luke is glad that God chose him. 

just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word,

Luke got to take oral histories from people that God counted so important as to make them eyewitnesses of His Son's coming

it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught. 

Then, as now, a lot of rumors were going around.  Luke felt it necessary for somebody in the know to set the record straight.  As one who was traveling with Paul, Luke would have been a trusted name.

Screech, now let's go back to the very beginning.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 

The Word, is just the common word for written words, but it meant so much more to both Jews and Greeks.  It still haunts me that we read the word, memorize the word, and yet The Word is a name for Christ.  I wonder how much power the written word of God really has when memorized and really dwelt on.  It kinda blows my mind.



oops, gotta go.  I'll come back to this

No comments: